Need help giving up smoking? Can you help others? This is where you can find help dealing with cravings, where you can discuss advance plans for dealing with difficult situations or general advice about staying smoke free.
#402 by KRini3
Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:48 pm
Hey everyone!

I'm on day 6 of being smokefree (yay!). In addition to my love of cigarettes, I love craft beer and everyone know smoking and alcohol go together like peanut butter and jelly. I haven't had drank since I quit but does anyone have any tip of overcoming those craving when your will power might be slightly compromised by delicious hops?
#403 by dave
Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:21 pm
One thing that might be able to help is an action plan. What this means in effect is you think about a situation that might cause difficulties for staying quit (drinking quit) and then come up with something you're going to do when that situation arises. The situation itself is phrased as an IF, the plan is phrased as a THEN or WHEN.

For example: IF I've had a bit to drink and I really want to have a cigarette THEN I'll promise myself I'm not going to smoke tonight.

It doesn't sound like something simple will work, but it really seems to. The key is to be as specific as possible with the IF and the THEN and to make sure to repeat the statement a few times. Once you've remembered it, you don't have to do any more. Evidence says that you're reminded of the THEN automatically when the IF thing happens (hence the importance of the IF being specific).
#405 by Lavender
Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:02 pm
It took a lot of will power for me to not smoke while drinking. I just feel a lot better the next day knowing I didn't do as much damage to my body than I normally do.(smoking a lot while drinking in excess) It is a nice feeling to know that I was strong enough to say, "no I don't smoke anymore" and actually mean it!
#416 by DONZOL
Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:28 am
I gave up drink the day I gave up smoking nearly 3 weeks ago and haven't missed drink at all. I think it's easier to completely cut out the poison and concentrate on cleaning up your body on different levels
#417 by DONZOL
Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:35 am
I keep telling myself that if I am tempted to drink or smoke, I will remember that the next cigarette or drink could be the one that kills me or triggers off a stroke or Ac heart attack or a long lingering painful illness like emphysema, cirrhosis of the liver or cancer
#425 by Bishally22
Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:45 am
Glad to know that you are not smoking anymore. And have been passed already 6 days. I also don't do this.