Need help giving up smoking? Can you help others? This is where you can find help dealing with cravings, where you can discuss advance plans for dealing with difficult situations or general advice about staying smoke free.
#116 by Rosco
Tue May 13, 2014 11:32 pm
Hi all,

I really wanted to share my story so far as I think it may be very beneficial for others

I was an over a pack-a-day smoker for 15 years with no real intention of giving up, I just enjoyed the experience too much. With a coffee, after a meal, with a glass of red.. All very enjoyable times. I knew about the health and monetary benefits of quitting, but the more I saw quitting adverts and had friends and family pushing the idea of quitting it all just seemed to make me want to smoke more!

I also work in the hospitality industry, where smoking is rife and that 5 minute smoke break during a busy shift was one of the only things that made the job bearable.

So, as you can see, it wasn't really looking good for me. I was surrounded by smokers, enjoyed it and didn't care of the health/financial losses. Until I walked passed a Vaping shop and thought "if I can even cut my smoking in half, then it's worth a try".

I spent a fairly hefty outlay on a kit on e-cigs with juice, 2 batteries and a charger and I've been hooked since! I cut down to 10 cigs in the first day, 5 in the second, 4 in the third, 1 in the fourth and have now been smoke free for 6 days. When I "vape" I feel like I'm still smoking - I still get the same relaxing rush (could be mental), I enjoy the sampling of the endless flavours and am even getting hooked on Vaping as a hobby! If I get cravings (and in honesty rarely do), I cope by cleaning out my e-cig methodically, or I go shopping for new or exiting parts/juice!

My bank balance my not have improved since quitting, but I feel the health benefits are priceless and I'm sure many others would easily spend £££'s if they knew they would never smoke again.

I never thought that I would be able to go a week without stinkies! I can smell better, taste more, my lungs are already saying thanks too!

If you're struggling, or want as much help as possible, then I strongly advise getting an e-cigarette!
#117 by dave
Thu May 15, 2014 6:19 am
I'm a big fan of e-cigarettes, not the cig-a-like ones you can buy everywhere these days but the proper kit you've got. It can be an bit of an outlay at first, but it doesn't take long for that to be recouped and of course, the health benefits as soon as you substitute even one cigarette for a vape.

Nothing I've tried before made it as easy to stop using cigarettes as e-cigarettes. Now all I've got to do is stop using them!
#196 by adavis8032
Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:42 am
My vape has been my saving grace this far. I have tried everything and this gives me hope that I can make it through this being a non smoker
#205 by Paul Moore
Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:20 pm
I tried Ecigs for a while. Loved it too much. I found I was constantly puffing and my throat became sore. Great if you only puff when you feel the urge to have a cig.
#209 by HornsHoldMyHalo
Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:55 am
My vape is the only thing that has gotten me off of cigs! 12 days smoke free now! I absolutely love vaping! I personally know several people that have quit smoking by using vaping as a nicotine replacement. They then slowly lower the nicotine level of their juice and quit vaping if they choose to. It has been a life saver for me! To the guy that was getting a sore throat... Go to a good vape shop and talk to them about it! You could probably get a higher VG juice that is easier on your throat. I use 30PG/70VG it has less throat hit. Good luck to all! Vape On!
#212 by mah185
Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 am
I think e-cigarette is a bad idea, I mean if it's a temporary way of quitting smoking that ok. But some of you sound like you're just replacing traditional cigs for e-cigs.
#217 by fallenAngel
Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:11 pm
Yes I think the same like mah185!
My Husband want me too to start with E-Cig. but it is the same for me like smoking. Just the chemicals are different. And right now nobody knows how the health will suffer from that!
And the worst is to break the habit!
#298 by CigaretteKills
Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:05 pm
E-Cigarettes are promoted exactly like filter cigarettes were in middle of last century. Maybe you saw pictures like "More doctors smoke Camels"... I remember that you could even smoke them in the airplane but lets get one thing straight right away - cigarette and e-cigarette both are devices that deliver nicotine. That's the only purpose of both.
Currently not enough of information is available on toxicity and on long term effect of these devices but as more studies come in results are not in favor of these robot phalluses. These are not health devices as they are being portrayed as even nicotine by itself is a dangerous chemical. Nicotine is also the addictive ingredient in the cigarettes.
So e-cigarette is not a quitting device and not a "healthy choice". If you are using it to quit smoking you are just substituting one addiction with another and as results show most probably you will be back smoking regulars cigarettes.

http://www.cigarettekills.com/the-healt ... rette.html

In order to truly quit you need to eliminate nicotine in all its forms. Build a strong motivation, understand that smoking doesn't give you anything positive and start your smoke free life in a natural way.
#310 by Fonc
Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:20 pm
I agree, I tried the e-cig and found I was either doing it too much, or still going for a smoke. I have the e-cig laying around somewhere but i'm in no rush to find it. For those of you who have quit smoking using it I say good on you. Still i'd look into the pro's/cons of the e-cig before patting myself on the back.