Need help giving up smoking? Can you help others? This is where you can find help dealing with cravings, where you can discuss advance plans for dealing with difficult situations or general advice about staying smoke free.
#483 by Judoka1124
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:53 am
Hi everyone, I keep quitting and I do well for a day or two, even came up with a thought "my thoughts" cravings" are trying to kill me", and then I fail. I am going at again today. I have heard it takes many tries to be successful at stopping. So I am trying not to get discouraged but, I am going down that path. My husband says he'll leave me if I don't quit. So my marriage is literally on the line here. Any advice!? :( :(
#484 by dave
Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:59 pm
It often takes a lot of attempts to quit smoking, so please don't be discouraged. Giving up smoking is one of the most difficult and rewarding things you will ever do. But you can do it.

My advice is to get as much help as you can. Call your local quitline if you have one - http://smokefreeapp.com/quitlines-around-the-world - use a nicotine product (gum, patches, e-cig etc) - make sure you remind yourself constantly of the benefits you get from quitting and the drawbacks of starting smoking again (the app will help with that), and do something for your quit everyday.

What I mean is that for the first month at least, ideally three months, put a note in your diary to do something for your quit everyday. Read about the harms of smoking or the benefits of giving up, go to a stop smoking forum, look at your stats and feel proud. If you need ideas for tips our Missions could help.

Good luck with this. You can do it!
#487 by Kristy
Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:37 pm
Have you read the book Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking? It's an easy ready, helps shift the mindset about cigarettes. I'm struggling-i try quitting all the time. It's so challenging, but the mindset is the hardest part about the whole thing.
#495 by Jaams44
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:26 pm
Hi Kristy. I also read Alan Carr's book. Yes it was helpful but can't say it was my sole reason for stopping. I'll give you my advice or approach to quitting.
I've taken the George Costanza Seinfeld approach. I started doing the complete opposite of what I would do normally do. If everything I've been doing has been wrong if I do the opposite it should be right.
I took the approach of avoiding my alcohol and reducing my coffee consumption which I associated with smoking. I now drink tea and soft drink or water. I'm fully avoiding family & friends who also smoker. Just until I'm 100% sure I'm smoke free. I disposed of every ashtray, lighter and any other gadget associated with smoking. I removed my little outdoor table & chair which was my relaxing smokers escape zone. And I can't believe its actually working well. The first few weeks were tough but now its rather nice not smoking.
I did however promise myself a holiday to the USA paid for by my savings by not smoking. Every time the smoke Free app reaches another $100 in the money saved section, I transfer the savings into a special "Smoke Free" account. I do it as a reward to myself and I can't believe its actually working well.
And never ever EVER give in to the strong urges when they hit you. Your better then that.
Good luck